How Does Liability Work in Personal Injury Cases?

When an accident occurs, the drivers, pedestrians, or any party involved end up blaming each other on who was at fault. After the accident, much confusion is involved, and the injuries can cause blurred thought and imagination. It is vital for the party concerned to take time and calm down to figure out what happened. So how does liability work in personal injury cases? This question is essential as the person found at fault will bear all the financial responsibilities for the losses and injuries caused. If the one insured has an insurance cover, the premiums may rise, and they can face criminal charges. This article offers a guideline on what to do when you are not at fault after a car accident.

 Defining Fault

When considering personal injuries claim fault is the concept that allows the injured person to receive compensation for harm caused by another person. The person to blame is at fault for the underlying accident. In case of a car accident, the person at fault is responsible for the financial compensation of the injured person. Common car accident injuries include broken ribs, arms, and head injuries. However, the driver pays for the injuries through the insurance period for a car accident. For a car accident claim, you are required to prove the following.

  • If the person at fault had breached their duty to be reasonably careful
  • The other person was careless
  • If the other person’s conduct was the cause of the injuries
  • You suffered losses

Most people cause these accidents by breaching responsibility, such as speeding their cars.

Why It Matters to Determine the One at Fault

Determining the person at fault is very crucial. The court needs to access both parties involved and examine the evidence to determine the party at fault. The one at fault means that they were negligent in their actions. If you are careless in any personal injury law, you are negligent. However, if you share the fault, you can decide to avoid liability under the contributory or comparative negligence defense. If the fault is determined, one party is found to be at fault by 70 % and the other by 30%. The other party will give the one at fault 30% compensation since they were also at fault.

Steps to Help Prove That You are Not at Fault

When an accident occurs, and you are not at fault, you must try to prove this. Proving you are not at fault is a skinny margin between receiving compensation and receiving nothing. This can also affect your insurance as some companies will increase the premium rates. To prove you were not at fault, do the following.

Collect Information

After an accident, it’s essential to take all the evidence you can gather. This evidence includes the driver’s information such as names, licenses, car insurance companies, and phone numbers. Also, take the number plate of their vehicle and any other vehicle involved in the accident.

Another vital piece of information to collect include the police report. This report will consist of your statements, the surrounding witnesses, and the opinion of the police officer and the law. You also need to take pictures and document the vehicle’s damage before its repair.


Its always necessary to prove you are not at fault after a car accident to avoid incurring other financial problems. Ensure you gather all the information required and contact an attorney to help you with the case.

Related Posts